Take a look at some of the statistics and you will realize that long term care has the potential to become a true crisis in our country:
- There are approximately 40 million Americans over the age of 65.
- The current estimate is that almost 75% of those people will require long term care at some point.
- Few Americans have planned for long term care; only 7% own a long term care insurance policy, and few can afford to self-insure.
- Medicare does not cover long term care (LTC) services excepted in very limited circumstances and time frames.
- Medicaid, which does cover LTC, is for the poor, and most do not qualify for it.
The good news, there are solutions to the long term care crisis, and grassroots activists are leading the way.